How to Take Charge of Your Happiness Factor
When was the last time you sat down and thought about what you REALLY wanted out of life?
Today, people–for sure, including myself–are answering hundreds of emails per day, texting rapidly, returning calls, attending meetings, making appointments, picking up and dropping off kids, making meals, grocery shopping … and the list could go on and on. At the end of the day, how often do you find yourself saying, “If only there were more hours in a day?” Likely, quite a bit.
What to do in 5 Simple Steps to Amp the Happiness Factor
Grab a pen and paper–it’s list time. I’m serious. You want a pen and paper. I promise this will be productive!
1. What makes YOU happy? An hour of “me” time per day? Exercising daily? Reading? Whatever floats your boat, write it down.
2. What things make you happy that you aren’t doing? Think hard about this, pull from the list above.
3. What things are you doing that don’t make you happy? Keeping people in your life that bring you down? Always putting others before you? Staying in a position just because it’s comfortable?
4. What can you eliminate from point 3? Yes, change is difficult, but guess what? If you’re not happy, then something has got to change or else you’ll stay exactly where you are and if you’re reading this, you likely don’t want that to occur.
5. What can you add back into your life and when will you do that? Take a gander at what you jotted down from question #2. Now, here’s the real homework–schedule some of these things back into your life! I don’t care if you have to literally schedule them in–just do it. Sometimes it takes blind faith and if you start to add these things back, I betcha that happiness factor will start to creep up because somewhere along the line you forgot about you. Let’s bring you back, shall we?
Guess what? Change Calls for Action
As I say to all my clients, “You’re not here because you don’t know what to do, you’re here because you’re not doing it.” It’s not that you don’t know how to be happy or just happier (we all have our own interpretation), it’s just that as life kept on going, you just couldn’t keep up with all the moving parts that make us who we are–fun happy creatures. And that’s okay because it is what it is, but starting today, with some clear direction and motivation, you can change your life in five simple steps. Now, you just gotta put it in action!
And for some extra motivation, I’ve included some of my favorite quotes that help me get out of my funks.
Thanks for reading;) Now, go on and get happy!